Cursos / 1º Ciclo / Faculty of Economy and Business Management :: Economics
ECONOMIA PÚBLICA - 2018/2019
2º curricular year
Semestralidade: 1st semester
Leading Teacher: Prof. Doutor Francisco Castelo Branco
Assistant Professor: Prof. Doutor Francisco Castelo Branco
Class type and School hours
Orientação Tutorial : 1 Horas
Teórico-prática : 2 Horas
1. Develop analytical capacity, scientifically supported on State intervention in the economy in the allocative, distributive and stabilizer dimensions;
2. Knowledge of the scientific field of Public Choice in democratic political systems .
3. The comparative study of the impact of the major taxes in the present tax structure of developed countries - theory of tax incidence and optimal normative theory versus positive optimal theory (Economics of Taxation).
1. Contemporary State Functions .
2. Public Goods and Market Failure .
3. Theory of Domestic Divergences - Externalities .
3. Approaches to Distributive Justice.
4. Public- Choice Theory and Rent- Seeking Theory.
5. Theory of Tax Incidence (Economics of Taxation)
6. Normative Optimum Taxation versus Positive Optimum taxation
Skills to be acquired
Develop analytical skills through theoretical models presented, allowing, a scientific reflection and criticism on the real complex economic environment; the definition of policies on public choice ground - health policies , education policies , industrial policy , security policy , environmental policy.
Analysis and critical discussion , scientifically supported , of current topics on the policies implemented in Portugal in different areas of state intervention and fiscal policy .
Comparative studies , supported by targeted research between different European economies and the US economy.
I - Functions of the State in the Economy
State Functions Coordination and Conflict
II - The Theory of Public Goods
Failures of Market System and Public Goods
Free- Riding and Provision of Public Goods
Meritorious goods versus Public Goods
Positive and Negative Externalities - the Theory of Domestic Divergences .
III - Sssymetric Information
IV - The Theory of Optimum Distribution
The Optimum of Pareto
Is Equity an Economic Problem ?
Equity and the Social Welfare Function
The Second-Best Theory
Approaches to Distributive Justice
V - Traditional Approach of the State versus Public- Choice Approach
Public- Choice Theory - J. Buchanan and the concept of Economic Constitution and Fiscal Constitution.
The Rent- Seeking Theory - Lobbies and discretionary fiscal policies.
VI - The Theory of Tax Incidence (economics of taxation)
Optimal Normative Taxation
Optimal Positive Taxation
Two tests in the semester course .
Presentation and discussion of research essays. .
Datashow ; specialized national and foreign journals ; Internet sources ; statistical information via national and international databases; e-books.
Public- Choice Theory
Social Welfare Function
|Author||TRIGO PEREIRA, Paulo et al.|
|Title||Economia e Finanças Públicas|
|Author||ROSEN, Harvey and GAYER, Ted|
|Title||Public Finance - Global Edition|
|Editor||McGraw-Hill Education - Europe|
|Author||Teixeira Ribeiro, José Joaquim; Lições de Finanças Públicas|
|Title||Lições de Finanças Públicas|
|Author||Sammuelson, P. Northaus|
|Author||Anthony B. Atkinson;; Joseph E. Stiglitz|
|Title||Lectures on Public Economics|