Cursos / 1º Ciclo / Faculty of Architecture and Arts :: Architecture ( Integrated Master)
HISTÓRIA DA ARQUITECTURA URBANA - 2018/2019
3º curricular year
Semestralidade: 2nd semester
Leading Teacher: Prof. Doutor António Oliveira
Assistant Professor: Prof. Doutor António Oliveira
Class type and School hours
Teórica : 2 Horas
The primary aim of the course address the problem of the architecture and the city transformations (left open in previous course: History of Architecture). The student must understand and relate to urbanization and its main protagonists in the industrial, post industrial and contemporary city.
Specifically, in this course is intended that the student can be able to identify the historical conjunctures and their disruptions and understand how these are reflected in the configuration of urban space. On the other hand, must relate urban models and understand the continuities and ruptures between them.
Skills to be acquired
The student should be able to make a critical assessment of the different models of urban development and its multiple spatial, formal, constructive and functional meanings, alongside the understanding of changes of collective destinies, the advancement of scientific knowledge and technological, extra-disciplinary analogies and the evolution of economic activities.
Classes are expository, but having a place for debate and the development of schematic syntheses, based on the examples of presentation (text, image, cartography).
1. Contextualization on the urban concept. The industrial, post-industrial and current city.
2. The Industrial city and its critics. Urban planning in Europe and the United States in the first half of the nineteenth century. Utopians. Haussmann and the plan of Paris (1850-1870). The Cerdà in Barcelona (1855-1861) plan.
3. Operated urban transformations between the late nineteenth century and the First War
World. The industrial city of Tony Garnier. Camillo Sitte. Cities-Gardens. The linear city
4. The architecture and urbanism between the two world wars in Europe and the United
States of America. The Gropius , Le Corbusier and CIAM urbanistic The urbanism of dictatorships. Other cases of European cities and U.S..
5. The Architecture and urbanism after World War II in Europe and America. The world diffusion.
The change of the ´60s. A post-industrial city. The current city.
The evaluation is performed according to:
- The Knowledge Assessment of General Rules and Responsibilities of Universities
- The Specific Rules of Architecture Course Evaluation.
In this sense, the continuous evaluation of the course will be held through two points
writings that monitor the learning taught over a frequency content.
1. Theoretical research and presentation projects on the syllabus is
find to be carried out;
2. Display culturally important documentaries for training and related topics
Economic / social / cultural contextualization.
Models of urban growth.
Quality of life.
|Title||História da Cidade|
|Title||La Progettazione Urbana in Europa, 1750-1960|
|Title||modern architecture - A CRITICAL HISTORY|
|Editor||Thames & Hudson - world of art|
|Author||SENO, Ethel, MCcORMICK, Carlo, SCHILLER, Sara & M|
|Title||Trespass. A History of uncommissioned Urban Art.|
|Author||EIREISS, Kristin; FEIREISS, Lukas|
|Title||Architecture of change. Sustainability and humanit|