Cursos / 1º Ciclo / Faculty of Architecture and Arts :: Architecture ( Integrated Master)
HISTÓRIA DA ARQUITECTURA - 2018/2019
3º curricular year
Semestralidade: 1st semester
Leading Teacher: Prof. Doutora Maria da Assunção Lemos
Assistant Professor: Prof. Doutora Maria da Assunção Lemos
Class type and School hours
Teórica : 2 Horas
This course unit will adress the problematics of Architecture (and Cities) transformations from the 19th century to the present day, comprising a rich and complex period of Western and World History. Therefore, one opted to:
- Emphasize, building understanding and relating, the most significant works and architects. Therefore, one restricts the History of Architecture to a more specific approach, but sufficiently attractive and able to supply clarifying elements about the profession, the orders, the limits and possibilities to work in space and time.
- Identify the most and least propitious historical junctures to the transformations held in Architecture.
- Relate and provide a context for works and architects, distinguishing the most significant ones.
Skills to be acquired
- Identify the main works and architects from 19th, 20th and 21th century.
- Be able to distinguish and apply the following concepts within Architecture: Classicism, Revivalism, Eclecticism, Modernism and Post-modernism.
- Relate artistic movements from 19th, 20th e 21th centuries (within Visual Arts and Architecture).
- Produce an original work/text.
- Through seminars, one will explore the bibliography and the samples to analyze. The classes will be open to discussion and the students will be oriented to presentation and defense of individual/group works. Whenever possible, the classes, will be complemented with study visits, conferences and other relevant activities.
1. Historical guidelines:The Contemporary Era or, and the triumph of Liberal/Bourgeois Revolution.
2. From the Neoclassical and Neo-Gothic option to the Architecture Eclecticism in the 19th century; exploring the following cases: French, German, Russian, Italian and American.
3. The Universal Exhibitions and its Architecture (from the 1st one in London to the one in Paris in 1900). The crisis of Eclecticism: William Morris and the "Arts and Crafts". The Great Chicago fire in 1871 and the "School of Chicago". The early years of F. L. Wright. The Art Nouveau in Architecture. The Classic recovery from A. Perret to Tony Garnier.
4. The shaping of modern movement in Architecture, in Europe and America: from "Deutscher Werkbund" to "Bauhaus". The singularity of Le Corbusier. The French, Dutch, Russian and Italian Architects. Richard J. Neutra in America and the American F. L. Wright. The new visibility of Architecture (contests, exhibitions, publications and the CIAM).
5. The Architecture of dictatorships (exploring the following cases: German, French, Italian and Russian) and the position of modern architects (in Europe and America).
6. The modern Architecture on a worldwide scale (Latin America, India and Japan).
7. The critical reviews to the Modern in the 60s and 70s: the new Utopia (Hundertwasser, Paolo Soleri and others). The New York 5 group / United States and the Tendenza group / Italy.
8. Figurative Postmodernism: Pop Architecture by Robert Venturi, Denise Scott and others. The High-Tech Architecture. Desconstructivism in Architecture. The current perspectives in Architecture.
- Written test with bibliographical support - 2
- Regular attendance and active paticipation inside and outside the seminars (tutorials, conferences, study visits, etc.)
- Traditional and modern methods of projection.
- Movies, colloquies, exhibitions (inside or outside the University, but available in museums, galleries, foundations, fairs, etc.) and study visits (in the region, Portugal and abroad).
c. 19th 20th and 21th.
|Title||Historia de la arquitectura moderna.|
|Editor||Gustavo Gili ISBN 84-252-1793-8|
|Author||MONTANER, Josep Maria|
|Title||Después del movimiento moderno Arquitectura de la|
|Editor||Gustavo Gili ISBN 84-252-1782-2|
|Author||GÖSSEL, Peter, LEUTHÄUSER, Gabriele|
|Title||Arquitectura no século XX|
|Editor||Taschen ISBN 3-8228-1450-4|
|Title||The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architectu|
|Editor||Phaidon Press Limited ISBN 978-071-4844-503|