Cursos / 1º Ciclo / Faculty of Architecture and Arts :: Architecture ( Integrated Master)
HISTÓRIA DA ARTE COMPARADA - 2018/2019
2º curricular year
Semestralidade: 2nd semester
Leading Teacher: Prof. Doutora Maria Paula Peixoto
Assistant Professor: Prof. Doutora Maria Paula Peixoto
Class type and School hours
Teórica : 2 Horas
-To take conscience that the roots of the European art swing between the rational and the emotive or in the synthesis of both.
- To understand the artistic problematic in the Modern Age, Baroque and Rococo.
- Imagine the art around a certain number of archetypes.
- To know and analyse the artistic and architectural models (in particular the Albertiano legacy) created in the Renaissance and later developed throughout the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. ´
- To know the different aesthetic proposals of the Baroque and Rococo.
Skills to be acquired
- To research, select, organise and interpret, in a critical way, the data related to the subject matter, needs or problems to solve and respective contexts.
- To do interpretative readings properly justified on artistic phenomena.
- To select and implement methods of work in a critical and creative perspective.
- To compare different perspectives in the presence of concrete situations.
We aim at creating situations that stimulate the student to actively participate in his own learning.
Lectures will always be supported by the visualization of pictures in connection with an adequate critical and reflexive analysis.
1.1 - Persuasion, participation and emotion.
1.2 - The art as complex totality.
1.3 – The language of classical architecture and the new scenic meaning.
1.4 - Types of plants and domes.
1.5 - Approach to the Baroque´s painting and sculpture
1.6 - Religious architecture. The plants and the great formal and imaginative diversity. The walls and the coverings. The façades and the decoration.
1.7 - The baroque palaces and villas.
1.8 - The complex and dynamic space – the architectural object and the urban space.
1.9 - The Baroque feast.
1.10 - The main forms of landscape architecture.
1.11 - The city of Rome in the17th and 18th century.
1.12 - The theatricalism of space in Bernini and complex scenic-structural achievements of Borromini and Guarino Guarini – the modelling of light and the symbolic and constructive character of architecture and the Gothic tradition.
1.13 - The naturalism in sculpture and painting that announces the Renaissance and the ornamental creation on “neutral surfaces” of the Final Gothic related with the Rococo.
1.14 - The classic matrix of French Baroque.
2. ROCOCÓ –
2.1 The European culture of the 18th century
2.2 - France and the Rococo.
2.3 - The different aesthetic proposals of the Baroque and the Rococo.
2.4 - The “hotel particulier”.
2.5 - Rococo in Central Europe.
Stress is given to a formative assessment so as to allow teacher and student to obtain the necessary feedback in order to allow the former to adapt his / her strategies and the latter to take conscience of his / her difficulties and progress. Students’ participation in the lectures will be one of the items to take into consideration when doing the summative assessment. This will be done according to the directions specified by the Faculty.
To make the most of the potentiality of the new information and communications technologies. To carefully examine all sorts of images from slides, PowerPoint presentations, videos so as to explain and support the theory. To give out photocopies of texts related to each one of the themes under study. To promote activities directed to the observation, reflexion and discussion of the artistic phenomenon.
|Author||ROTH, Leland M.|
|Title||Entender la arquitectura: sus elementos, história|
|Title||Barroco e Rococó|
|Title||Barroco e Classicismo|
|Title||Panorama da Arquitectura Ocidental|